The society is always looking for ways to improve the appearance of the village and works in partnership with the parish council and other community groups to upgrade community spaces and places.
The society in March 2020 received the great news that a bid for funding from Folkestone & Hythe District Council ‘s High Street Fund has been successful. Up to £50,000 has been allocated to improve the streetscene in front of Riviera Court. This area in the centre of the village has long been a blot with a bin store and an unattractive hard landscape. A joint project group between the society and Sandgate Parish Council will progress. An indicative image below gives an impression of what is proposed – but will probably include the planters that are currently in situ.
Our other recent projects include –
- replacement of railings to footpath at the Undercliff
- digitisation of the society’s extensive archive collection of historical photographs and documents hosted on a website freely available to the community.
- refurbishment, internally and externally, of the Old Fire Station (a grade II listed building and the society’s HQ) in conjunction with the Sandgate Heritage Trust
- sponsoring High Street enhancements including a refurbished planter outside The Ship public house
- working with the trustees of the Chichester Memorial Hall (the ‘village hall’) to fund planned improvements to the hall including new kitchen facilities and disabled access.
- updating list of buildings of local interest in the form of an appendix, with an interactive database, to the revised Sandgate Design Statement 2020 to provide further protection of the village’s rich building heritage.